extralarge

Bedford is a city in Westchester County, New York, USA. The population was 17,335 at the 2010 census.

The town of Bedford is situated in the northeastern part of Westchester County, and contains the three hamlets of Bedford Hills, Bedford, and Katonah.

The past

The town of Bedford was founded on December 23, 1680, when 22 Puritans from Stamford, Connecticut, purchased an area of land three miles square known as the Hopp Ground from Chief Katonah and some other Native Americans for coats, blankets, wampum and cloth.

Bedford was made a part of Connecticut in 1697 while a patent fixed the boundaries as a six-mile square. Only when King William III of England issued a royal decree in 1700 settling a boundary argument did Bedford become part of New York.

post-163842The town served as the county seat of Westchester County throughout the American Revolutionary War after the Battle of White Plains, until Bedford was burned through the British in July 1779. After the Revolution, Bedford was made one of two seats of county government, alternating by White Plains, until 1870. Westchester County’s oldest government building is the Courthouse in Bedford village, which was built in 1787 and modernized in the 1960s.

The Bedford Village Historic District, Caramoor Center for Music and the Arts, The Woodpile, and Palmer-Lewis Estate are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Natural features

According to the U.S Census Agency, the city has a total area of 39.4 square miles (102.1 km2), of which 37.2 square miles (96.3 km2) is land and 2.2 square miles (5.8 km2), or 5.70%, is water. The town is bordered to the west by Mount Kisco, to the south by Armonk inside the city of North Castle, to the north by Lewisboro, and to the east by Pound Ridge.

Landmarks

54121-blively_pr_pics

Bedford has little minor landmarks, most of them centered on the Bedford Green, a little patch of green space at the center of the historical region (along Route 22). There is a small graveyard dating back to the founding of the city; the old one-room stone schoolhouse; and a few colonial-era houses, still lived in, which are kept painted white with green or black shutters.

The Bedford Free Library is located in Bedford, on the Village Green, and is a part of the Westchester Library System.

Also along Route 22, at Hook Road, there is a large 300-plus-year-old oak tree known as the Bedford Oak.

Communities and locations in Bedford

Bedford Corners – A small residential area neighboring the village of Mount Kisco in the southern part of city.

Bedford Hills – A hamlet in the western part of the town, just south of Katonah. The famous Richard H. Mandel House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.

Bedford – A hamlet in the southeast part of the town, commonly known as Bedford Village. The Bedford Village Historic Region was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

Katonah – A hamlet at the north town line.